Monday, December 5, 2011

Picture frames with 3d designs

30 days of creativity - pop art by Donaville Herrick
Today I created something that I like to think of as “Pop Art”, certainly not in the traditional, Andy Warhol-esque sense of the word, but as in art that pops or leaps out at you, in the third dimension as it were.
I was going to try to hang these on the wall today but I’m pretty awful when it comes to handy-work. I usually leave it up to the Mr. to build furniture, hang frames, and anything else that involves a hammer. Besides, I’m not entirely sure where I want to hang these just yet. Most likely somewhere on the ghost-townish walls of my office.
Feeling inspired? Make your own version of my version of pop art.
Supplies you’ll need:
  • 4 picture frames. I used 4″ x 6″ frames, but you can mix things up by using fewer or more frames and using different dimensions – go for a diptych, triptych, the possibilities are endless!
  • 1 sheet of scrapbook paper (may require more if you’re using larger picture  frames)
  • scissors
  • butterfly punch
  • glue gun
Steps:
  1. Cut 4 sheets of scrapbook paper to fit into your frame. I scored the lovely one pictured when Michael’s Craft Store was having a 4/$1 sale on 12″ x 12″ sheets of paper. It’s also the same paper I used for the Mother’s Day card and keepsake I made for my mom last month.
  2. Place each cut sheet into the frame
  3. Lay the frames onto a flat surface in whatever formation. As you can see, I chose a square-ish form, leaving about 1/2″ of space between each frame.
  4. Get punch happy with your butterfly punch. I punched about 20 paper butterflies and boy did my knuckles hurt afterward. Kidding, but the butterflies were none too happy.
  5. Place the butterflies onto your frames any way you like and adhere with superglue. I tried double-sided tape at first, but the tape didn’t stick to the glass.
I initially thought about removing the glass from the frames and pasting the butterflies directly onto the paper itself, but the beauty about keeping the glass is that I can switch out the paper in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment