Monday, December 12, 2011

Snickerdoodle cupcakes

Snickerdoodle cupcakes

Surprisingly, I have had this recipe bookmarked for two years to make.  Snickerdoodles are something I typically reserve for the holiday season, so a lot of the recipes I find for them are easily forgotten.  Luckily, I stumbled upon this recipe in my black dessert binder earlier last week and thought it would be perfect for a friend's birthday party.  

Honestly, I'm a little sad that it took me two years to try these.

They are so good.  And easy. And perfect for the holidays... or birthdays.

I think I need to get over my whole snickerdoodle thing being only for the holidays.  They are too good to not enjoy them throughout the entire year.


I used a simple buttercream frosting with cinnamon and red sprinkles. and a little turbinado sugar mixed in for crunch. Perfect combo.


Turbinado sugar is another one of those things I all too often forget about.  I've never swirled it into icing before, but I must say I loved it.


Snickerdoodle Cupcakes


From Martha Stewart
Pin It 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup milk

Buttercream Icing
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup crisco
5 tbsp half & half
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare muffin tins with liners.

Sift together, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.

In your mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Once combined, add vanilla. Alternating with the milk, add in flour mixture.  Mix until combined.

Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners.  Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks.

Prepare icing by creaming crisco and butter. Add in powdered sugar and half & half. Once combined, add vanilla, cinnamon, and turbinado sugar.  Pipe onto cupcakes.


I know the piping is not perfect, but I blame that on the buttercream. Luckily, my friend Lindsay and I stumbled upon two chef size containers of grocery store icing. You can only imagine my excitement. There will be a whole lot of green and white grocery store icing in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment